Microsoft came out with a new Windows 10. And offered for the people who had genuine windows 7 or 8.1 installed on their computers for a free upgrade to windows 10. It was offered in the two basic versions basically every window had been offered a 32-bit and 64-bit window. Although upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro is not free. What the majority of people don’t know that They can Upgrade Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit for free.
You can also Check; How to Downgrade Windows 10 Pro Education to Windows 10 Pro
Upgrade Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit
The drawback to this is even though Microsoft offers windows upgrade. The problem is you can only upgrade to an equivalent edition of the version on the same architecture. So if you have a windows 7 or 8.1 in a 32bit version you will only be offered to upgrade your window to a 32-bit version of the Windows 10 and not the 64-bit version.The only way out of this is to do a clean installation of the operating system and recalibrate all your apps and settings.
If you’re Using 32-bit windows 10 you’re missing out on many of the advantages of using a 64-bit package. Here is a guide for converting to 64-bit.
So with any further due let’s get into it step by step.
1) Making Sure Your PC Is Compatible
64-bit versions of the windows are always heavier. Before upgrading to 64-bit you have to make sure it is compatible.
You can access compatibility specs easily from the settings app.
- Utilize the Windows key + I console easy route to open the Settings application.
- Open System
- Click About
- Under System sort, you will see two snippets of data: on the off chance that it says 32-bit working framework, x64-based processor, at that point it implies that your PC is running a 32-bit form of Windows 10 on a 64-bit processor. In the event that it says 32-bit working framework, x86-based processor, at that point your PC doesn’t bolster Windows 10 (64-bit).
Other than this you can open system info to gather the processor capability information.
- Search for system information in the start menu.
- In the system summary check for system type. If it says x64 based pc it means your computer is capable of running 64-bit windows. If it says x86 that means your pc is 32-bit oriented pc.
Even though most of the new Pc’s are compatible with the new windows 10, But if you have an older pc make sure you have these compatibilities as well. Microsoft According to Microsoft’s support page in Windows 8.x and later, the operating system requires three essential characteristics, including Physical Address Extension (PAE), No-eXecute (NX), and Streaming SIMD Extensions 2 (SSE2). Additionally, Windows 10 (64-bit) also requires CMPXCHG16b (CX16) feature to be present in the processor.
If you want to check your Pc for the following requirements use Coreinfo from Microsoft’s Windows Sysinternals.
- Go to the web and open Windows Sysinternals
- Download Coreinfo
- Install Coreinfo
- Open the Coreinfo folder and click to open the command prompt.
- Type the command “coreinfo” and press enter.
- Coreinfo after the command is entered will list the processor specs make sure PAE, NX, SSE2, and CX16 are listed too.
Things to check before upgrading
- Make sure your Pc also has the graphics card and other hardware which is compatible with 64-bit windows as 32-bit versions of drivers won’t work.
- Make sure you fully back up all the data as there will be a lot of changes made to the windows it’s best to do so.
Create a new clean installation of the windows 10
Since there is no direct way to convert your 32-bit windows to a 64-bit you have to do it from the start and make a new clean installation. Also, before installing check if your windows is properly activated. You can view this information on Settings > Update & security > Activation.
You can also check; How to Activate Windows 10 OS
Make Windows 10 Installation Media
- Connect a USB with a minimum storage space of 4GB
- Go to Microsoft Windows 10 installation page
- Save Media creation tool on your desktop
- Accept license terms
- Select the create media for another pc option
- Make sure to select the architecture base x64 bit
- Select the Flash Drive option
- Select the flash removable drive from the list
- After the installation media is done, close the media creation tool.
Installing a 64-bit windows 10
Just follow the steps bellow;
- Restart Your PC with the flash drive connected
- When the windows setup screen pops up click next
- Select install now
- As you already have an activated version of Windows 10 you can skip the enter key part
- Accept license
- Click the custom install window if you want to edit out the partition, otherwise continue installation
After completion makes sure to go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update so you can download the latest drivers and updates.
Hope this article helps you out to Upgrade Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit. If you have any queries make sure to put it down in the comment!
- How to Upgrade Windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit - October 12, 2017
- Top 10 Best Operating System (OS) Of All Time - October 1, 2017
- Smartphones of the Future – Latest Mobile Phone Technology - September 27, 2017